Friday, January 13

Assertive Discipline

I decided that I would do a real quick post (we will see about that) today...I know it is Friday and I will not keep you guys too long! First of all some of you may not know what assertive discipline is, so I will give a quick definition and then continue with my post. If you would like to know a bit more about assertive discipline go to http://www.behavioradvisor.com/AssertiveDiscipline.html .

Assertive discipline is a structured, systematic approach designed to assist educators in running an organized, teacher-in-charge classroom environment.

I found an idea on Pinterest (LOVE IT and it is a teacher's best friend for fresh ideas) an idea that I used...you can find the original idea at http://theinspiredapple.blogspot.com (looking back now, I didn't realize how closely our blogs were named...there is great stuff here!)

Here is my assertive discipline plan: I printed out my words, taped them to construction paper, and then laminated ONE LONG guitar. I then hot glued the names of my students to clothes pins! ***Here is a word of caution!!!!!! Do not think double laminating will make the whole project much thicker and more durable (like I did)...It will end up ruining the whole thing and you will have to start all over!

The Whole Guitar
The Top Of The Guitar
The Middle Of The Guitar

The Bottom Of The Guitar
Here are the labels that I have chosen:

Rockin' Behavior is the title of my assertive discipline plan.
-(Red) I have "You're a Rockstar! Welcome to Hollywood! Get 1 sticker...Collect 10 stickers for a FREE homework pass!!!"
-(Orange) I have "May I Have Your Autograph? You're going to be famous!"
-(Yellow) I have "A Stellar Performance! Keep it up!"
-(Green) I have "Let's Rock N' Roll! You're ready to learn!" This is where the kiddos start their day every day. It is up to them whether they move up the levels or down the levels.
-(Blue) I have "Singin' The Blues. Practice makes perfect." This is the "warning" place.
-(Light Purple) I have "Speak With Management! Student will write about the issue that caused their name to be here and what they will do to correct the problem!"
-(Dark Purple) I have "One Show Cancelled! Student walks all recess."
-(Grey) I have "All Tour Dates Cancelled! Teacher will contact parent about student's behavior.

This is something that you can completely make your own and change it how you see fit. Even though the grey bar says I will contact the parent, I actually walk the student out at the end of the day and stand there while the student tells the parent why they got into trouble (usually cue the water works). I hope this might have inspired you to use an assertive discipline plan in your classroom but remember....What works for me, might not work for you! Hope to see you back here soon! Don't forget to leave me a comment to let me know if you like what you see, and also don't forget to follow me!!!

Have a BLESSED day!!! :)
your photo name

No comments:

Post a Comment